Googlebot to Submit Web Forms
I saw recently on the Google blog that the Googlebot will start submitting web forms.
Specifically, when we encounter a
<FORM>element on a high-quality site, we might choose to do a small number of queries using the form. For text boxes, our computers automatically choose words from the site that has the form; for select menus, check boxes, and radio buttons on the form, we choose from among the values of the HTML.
They also listed some important limitations, which makes this seam much less extreme as it did when I first read about it.
The Googlebot will NOT submit forms that:
- "Use terms commonly associated with personal information such as logins, userids, contacts, etc"
- Have a form action that is forbidden in
Like this? Follow me ↯Tweet Follow @pfreitag
Googlebot to Submit Web Forms was first published on April 23, 2008.
If you like reading about google, googlebot, seo, or forms then you might also like:
- GoogleBot Runs AJAX?
- Pinging Search Engines when Sitemaps Change
- Sitemap hint in robots.txt
- Uploading Files Like GMail Attachments
- It takes more than just PageRank
- Google Sitemaps Accepts RSS and Atom Feeds
- Google Site Verification
- Search Engine Ranking Factors